Monday, May 9, 2011

A Sad Day

We are a house filled with heavy hearts today. I (Mama Steph) realize that much of this blog captures the wonderful, joyous moments in Emmy and Lexi's lives. Some posts are rather big events like weddings, others just a photo of what they wore that day so you can see how big they're getting. Of course life doesn't stop, nor take place in snapshots like that. Some days are rather uneventful. Some days can be truly devastating. I realize I haven't brought much, if any real sadness to this blog. I think that may in part be due to how little the girls still are and what they are capable of processing, and as such sharing only what is going on in their little worlds as best I can. But yesterday we lost who was arguably our third baby. Our pooch Sadie left us yesterday, and she left behind a family grieving and in shock that it was her time to go. While Lexi will probably only remember her through pictures, and ultimate perhaps maybe Emmy only will as well, Mommy Karen had her since she was a baby ball of black fur that looked like she came out of a dryer, so unquestionably, her sadness is probably deepest of all.

So perhaps today I am breaking with tradition and sharing more about what Karen and I are feeling, and the sadness we feel with her gone. There will only ever be one Stink Dog. She was one of a kind. She went everywhere with Karen, and then eventually with both of us, and then with all of us as these little babies started popping up. She went on just about every single trip we ever took - drives to North Carolina, Kentucky, and oh how she loved Fire Island. But not more than Frisbees. She loved nothing more (well, except maybe Karen, but definitely more than me), than Frisbees. And I can't imagine another pooch who will ever be more patient and tolerant and loving with two little girls as she was. She treated them with kid gloves, and even when they probably didn't deserve it, that's for sure. She has left big holes in our hearts that I only hope in time will be healed by the memories we have shared.

We love and will miss you Good Girl.


1 comment:

KMae said...

OH this is so SAD, I am so sorry.
Believe me I know this pain too well.
(((((((HUGS)))))))